Sunday 19 May 2013

The MRI scan

p.s - this not my brain as my mate seems to think...
MRI

I have been waiting for my MRI letter to come through the post for ages. I was really hoping that the appointment wasn't going to be during exam season. Luckily it arrived for the week before they started.

Before the day of my MRI, I had different opinions of the MRI from people thrown at me left, right and centre. One person kind of freaked me out, saying that they got stuck in a machine. Luckily I ignored that comment. Otherwise it would have made me nervous to be in the machine. Others have told me its loud and noisy - well I can't hear, so I don't have anything to worry about. Whereas my mam has told me that she fell asleep through it. So I was pretty sure that I would be similar, since I already sleep through my vibrating alarm clock.

I already knew what a MRI scan was, therefore I didn't need to do much research on it like everything else I have been doing. I had covered it multiple times in science at school. Although the images that I saw was of the outside scanner, I had been told be some people that they have to wear a helmet. My first thought was a medieval knight style. With someone going 'arise sir knight'.
Okay that was a little too much... 

Anyways, very early in the morning, arriving at Queen's Medical Centre was a nightmare. Mazes of roads going all over the place meant it was hell to park the car but it didn't stop there. In the hospital became labyrinths maze. I think me and me mam ended up looping round one corridor more than once. Until a lady pointed us in the right direction.

Arriving the department, and the first thing the receptionist said to me was remove your jewellery. 15 minutes later, after battling to remove all of it. I was told to come through to another room. The guy who collected me was not deaf aware at all. Talking away and walking in front of me whilst at that. I couldn't lip read him. Its a deaf person kind of personal hell.
In the end I said to him ' I am deaf'
His reply was 'I know, that's why your here!' It was rather arrogance, despite stating the obvious. Also the handlebar moustache, dude, not a good look! I can't read your lips, as its covering your lip pattern. 
He eventually went away after what it seemed like a lifetime of asking questions to ensure my safety in the machine.
My mam was signing away to me to keep conversation going during another waiting period.

Then it was my time to go in the scanner, a woman came to collect me and hallelujah she was signing. Not a facial hair hanging over the lips in sight.  Explaining the process again, whilst being walked up to the room. I was then told to lay down on this trolley which goes into the machine. Whilst she placed the helmet over my head, along with some ear muffs. I gave her a funny look to say, 'I am deaf! Doubt the sound would bother me'. Apparently it's all procedure though. Mirrors where inside the helmet so I could see her, to reassure me apparently. She told me it would take around 30 - 45 minutes. In I went.
Instantly I feel asleep.

20 minutes later, it was all over. Apparently the image of my Cochlear is really clear so it didn't take as long. I actually thought it was the full time because I feel asleep. Ooops!

So now I just have to wait for another appointment! Just hope its after my exams...

No comments:

Post a Comment