Wednesday 11 December 2013

Well where do I start?

Tons of time has passed...

Yeah I know its been a long time since I have wrote anything on my hearing journey. It's been such a crazy last few months; involving my birthday, many tunings, concerts and cramming in my A Level studies.
 

6th Form...

Overall, my CI's have been awesome! I am managing to hold conversations without looking at the person. When my name is called out in class I response straight away, well pretty much straight away.
Even some of my teachers have been left gobsmacked with me responding. I think its to do with the fact I haven't done this in a long time and its always someone waving their hand in my face or prodding me on the arm to get my attention to start with. I am starting to not rely on my interpreters as much, although the odd bearded teacher makes it incredibly hard to lip-read still. (Shave it off dude!)


Anyways its all looking positive in terms of 6th form.
The school have finally set up a T-Loop system and it works! No longer the days where I look clueless in assemblies; having to ask me friends to wrote notes down or relay the information to me afterwards.

I am pleased that even in the lower school kids are starting to become more deaf aware. Having several sign classes set up with myself teaching one; its ace to see them trying to sign at break and lunch.

I have had several tuning since my switch on back in August and each time I am accessing more sound. The couple days after the tuning I have to get use to people voices again. They sound like really robotic like Daleks. It is amusing in classes at 6th form; trying to take a teacher or a guest lecturer seriously.  

In terms of hearing new sounds there haven't been that many recently but back in September my friend zipping up her jacket freaked me out. I ended up getting her to zip it up a couple of times, till it sounded as it should have done through my hearing aids.
Even my history teacher made jump out of my seat when he was writing on the board. He thought that he was talking too loud and said that he couldn't whisper then everyone else wouldn't hear. I had to explain that it was the board pen. The awful squeaking noise that came with it. How the hell do hearing people cope with it. Oh yeah I remember its just 'white noise'. So I have now moved away from the board to avoid this dreaded noise every time he writes. Such peace!

Every week I have been doing some listening tests to see if I can still pick up the phonetics, words and sentences within a noisy background. Its amazing that I can still hear even with all the noises which surrounds me. I would never have been able to do this with my hearing aids and without relying heavily on lip-reading.

Fireworks, Concerts and Cinemas...

Surrounding Bonfire Night the fireworks were so loud, I actually thought a bomb had exploded and was running round the house like a lunatic checking if my siblings were alright. I ended by embarrassed by my hearing sister saying it was just fireworks.
Jeez-Marie! So I eventually ended up going to a firework display and wanted to experience it with the whole noises of 'bang and boom'. I must admit to be glad that I was able to take my CI's off!


I went to my first concert since being switched on. I can say its an experience. Hearing every single words of the songs, even the instruments sound crystal clear though my CI's.
Also visiting the Cinema several times and tried hearing through both the T-Loop system and without. I can't believe the clarity and not having to rely on subtitles either.


Upgrading and 'Pimping' my CI's...

I am due to upgrade my CI's soon after Christmas to the Nucleus 6. I was suppose to have this back in August but my implant centre didn't have it in stock. After researching in depth back in June/July, I didn't originally want this technology as when listening to music it would involve wearing a box around my neck rather than wires, as its apparently wireless.
Great I thought. However I hate wearing things around my neck was refusing a first to have it.
However, Cochlear have released two models of the implant. One being exactly like the Nucleus 5 and I could still plug in my iPod whilst functioning with the wireless system as well. The other just being wireless.
My Teacher for the Deaf came to visit me a few weeks ago and happily informed me that when I was upgraded I would have the model which I could still plug into. I literally jumped out of my seat going 'YES'. A late Christmas present to me would be a new processor system. Yay!

I have begun 'pimping' my CI's after being inspired by a Facebook group 'Pimp My Hearing Aids / Cochlear Implants', which a few of my friends recommended. At first I didn't want my CI's to stand out - partly due the fact that I was getting use to them and the other being I was a little embarrassed but I got over that within the first few weeks.
Now my CI's stand out in their colourful themes. I first started off with gems after being inspired to  have a really girl theme. Now I have a more seasonal theme that is slightly Christmassy, my brother says that they look like wrapping paper. Charming eh?

 (1)

 (2)
  
I am going to match them to an outfit when I go out for  a meal with friends next week, despite it being so fiddly, its worth it!

1 comment: