Saturday 24 August 2013

I think you sound like a dude...

The next few days after the switch on...

It's the next morning and my implant is starting to sound a little more normal. I was also going to my grandparents house later on to show them my implants. Before I went there, my family made a quick stop at the supermarket to pick up some ingredients to make a banana cake. (It was yum I must admit!) Walking through the supermarket was fairly fine, I was on the second programme as the first one seemed too quiet compared to the day before after being switched on. The audiologist did say this would happen.
Up and down each aisle was a weird experience, I could hear the rustle of packaging when people picked them up. Trolley's banging into one another was really loud. It got worse when I was at the checkout. With all the noises of people putting things on the belt and sounds from people talking; got too much. So I ended up just pulling the magnet off my head until we left the shop. Reaching the doors, the magnets clipped back onto my head. I told my mam 'Quiet, finally', she just laughed and said 'This is what hearing people have to put up with regardless.'
Hmmm, sounds fun.

Being at my grandparents house, the noise was just immense. Too many conversational greeting going off at once made me pull a right face at my grandma. Luckily she didn't get offended and just kept laughing when I explained everything was really loud. Switching back to programme one again!
After this we all settled down onto the sofa's and gossip about recent events and what it was like to be switched on. I kept trying to come up with sounds which I knew to describe objects and what they we like to my grandparents as they are really curious.

On the Sunday I decided that I wanted to go swimming as it was a regular activity which I did on a weekend. Since the advice from the Doctors was not to swim 2 weeks before the operation and 4 weeks after I did actually miss the pool. The only nightmare about water was I had to wait for my hair to dry again before I could my implants back on. The peace and quiet was nice though.

Through out the rest of the week, friends and family we coming to see me and my CI's. They kept making noises to see if I could hear it (which I could), but the strange thing was they were no longer sounding the same both genders. They were actually sounding slightly different. Dudes were sounding like dudes and lasses were sounding like lasses. I quickly text my T of D of what had happened. I had finally broken through the barrier of people sounding alike.
Yippeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment