Saturday 20 April 2013

The Big Shock!

January

Way back in January my life had began to change completely. The change wasn't something I could control, being a deaf lass in 6th form was already hard. Having to rely on lip reading, sounds through my hearing aids. I stood out already but having a great group of friends I feel normalish.
Although I wasn't that deaf, it was a big shock to find out that I had gone to bed normal.
To then waking up the next day to find out that my hearing had gone completely. My instant thought was 'oh hell' its just a dip in my hearing caused by a ear infection or something.

Oh how I wish it was just that. Then came the visits to my useless GP's, who whenever I have a health problem always seem to diagnose me with something totally different to what ever I have. Yes I know your reading this and thinking that I should change doctors or something. ha-ha.

One doctor even said 'why on earth are you seeing me?' My reply was I need help of course!

The audiology appointment was made in a emergency, shortly after that. On the day of the appointment I was in mixed feeling because I didn't know what to expect. Part of me still had hope that my hearing can be fixed by a magic pill, whereas the other part of me knew that I had no chance!
The testing was carried out and yep it was confirmed my hearing had vanished and that I now met the criteria for Cochlear Implant. The Cochlear Implant is a hearing equipment which would be inserted in a person head to give them hearing.
I have many friends who have one but the thought of myself having one upset me. I wouldn't hear normally again. People would sound robotic, friends and family would not longer sound the same!

Thankfully I got given the magic pill which helped bring my hearing back up. Hallelujah!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment