Tuesday 6 August 2013

The CI's Equipment.

Getting the equipment...

Both of my teacher's for the deaf (T of D) came today, one from Nottingham who brought the equipment and the other from my local area.
The Nottingham teacher came bouncing through my doors lugging a huge black which looks like a laptop bag. 'This is your equipment' she said after putting it on the floor. My initial thoughts was all that for my hearing, Jeez-Marie!.
It intrigued my local teacher as being a teenager, who has a bilateral implants at my age is quite rare. Eager to see what the mystery bag held, the Nottingham teacher began by showing me my processors. Very shiny, thin! Slight problem the processor was brown where as the coil and wire was black. It turns out I made a mistake when ticking the box and choose the wrong colour for the coil. Ooops! She then told me I could change them when I go for the switch on, thank god!

Anyway, the T of D proceeded with explaining how the equipment worked and I was rather pleased that the battery usage was both rechargeable as well as hearing aid batteries. Then smaller boxes came out of this bag, with wires for connecting to music and cleaning thing. It was a lot of things just for two small items which allowed me to hear. She then told me that there was an instruction book off how to operate the processors, one look at it and I was like huh? Thank goodness she gave me a simple version of how to do it. Otherwise it would take me ages to figure it out!

So the switch on is on Friday, so both T of D's said they will see me within the next week to see how I am getting on. Excited but I know not to expect much I keep telling myself. So after a cuppa, some biscuits and a chat they left me to fiddle about with the processors as the magnet in the coil wouldn't attach to my head. Luckily I can ask at Nottingham, to change the strength of the magnet in order to attach it to myself.

Later that evening, my parents came home from work and I was bursting to tell them all about what I have learnt today. They themselves were having ago at trying on my processors for the weight, looking at the instruction booklets and threw the same facial expressions as I did. When I saw how many types of flashes of colour to remember and what they symbolised. My mam said 'Oh this is going to be fun, Beth!' I knew what she meant, as I do have a memory of a goldfish sometimes...

Anyways, come tomorrow its two more sleeps till the switch on! Yippee! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment